Embarrassment. An emotion that can prevent us from doing a lot of the things we would like to do. Some of us wish we were more outgoing and able to speak in public, some of us wish we were more body confident and could wear clothes without fear of what people will think of our figures. And for many men, the stigma surrounding erectile dysfunction is enough to make a man hide the problem rather than tackle it head on.
But if you are a gentleman suffering from the common issue of erectile dysfunction (ED), then you should know that you are really not alone - and that there are millions of men who have seen past the embarrassment to access reliable, fast-acting treatment.
Erectile dysfunction is the inability to get and maintain an erection. Also known as impotence, most men will experience erectile dysfunction at some point in their lives, normally caused by tiredness, alcohol or stress. It is estimated half of all men aged between 40 and 70 have erectile dysfunction to some degree and 10% of men will be affected by persistent erectile dysfunction.
The number of prescriptions for erectile dysfunction drugs increased dramatically in recent years. The sale of sildenafil, and in particular, Viagra (the most well known trade name), has grown by 700,000 since 2003 to reach 1.7 million sales last year. Sildenafil is a phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitor, which means that it works by temporarily improving the flow of blood to the penis, supporting the development of an erection.
Understanding that erectile dysfunction is a common problem and that isolated instances of impotence are not a sign of lost manhood is important to dispelling the stigma surrounding ED. For those men who suffer more frequent cases of impotence, resorting to medication should be considered no more embarrassing than accessing any other kind of prescription.
As any reputable health professional will explain, Viagra and Generic Sildenafil are effective short-term solutions to recurring impotence problems, but a patient should also be aware of the underlying symptoms.
As your GP or pharmacist will tell you, lifestyle can have a significant impact on erectile dysfunction. Poor diet, smoking, excess alcohol consumption and a sedentary lifestyle have all been closely linked with the development of erectile dysfunction. Here are just a few well known causes of erectile dysfunction.
Causes of erectile dysfunction
- Cardiovascular Disease - The ‘furring up’ or blocking of arteries or veins linked with high cholesterol and cardiovascular disease, can also affect smaller capillaries elsewhere, preventing adequate blood flow and causing erectile dysfunction.
- High Blood Pressure - High blood pressure keeps the arteries leading to the penis from dilating the way they're supposed to. As a result, not enough blood flows into the penis to make it erect.
- Diabetes - High blood sugar levels associated with diabetes can affect both the blood supply and the nerve endings in your penis leading to erectile dysfunction.
- Mental Health - Non-physical conditions can also cause erectile dysfunction including depression, stress and anxiety.
- Hormonal Conditions - An over or underactive thyroid gland, along with conditions such as Cushings syndrome have also been liked to impotence.
The serious nature of these conditions means that erectile dysfunction is something that should not be ignored, and is worth discussing with a healthcare professional. Being diagnosed and treating the underlying condition should help to alleviate your symptoms.
Accessing treatment for erectile dysfunction
If you are suffering from impotence, you can purchase erectile dysfunction treatments from Express Pharmacy online. If you are unsure on which treatment would best suit you, please get in touch via phone 0208 123 0703, email email@example.com, or try our Live Chat facility.