4 Proven Ways to Stop Hair Loss
In this article, we are going to talk about 4 proven ways to stop hair loss so you can walk with full confidence once again.
Understanding Hair Loss
Hair loss or alopecia affects both men and women. It is, however, more common among men with about 40% experiencing noticeable balding by the age of 35.
The average adult head contains about 150,000 strands of hair and it’s considered normal to lose up to 100 hairs a day. So, don’t be alarmed if you find strands of hair on your hairbrush or on the floor.
Our hair is actually made up of dead keratin cells. As hair follicles produce new hair cells, old or dead keratin cells are pushed out through the skin’s surface --- this then becomes the hair that we can see. On average hair grows at a rate of approximately 6 inches every year.
Normally, 90% of the hair on a normal person’s scalp is growing. Hair growth follows a cycle with three distinct phases:
- Anagen Phase - hair grows actively during this stage. This phase lasts around 2 - 8 years.
- Catagen Phase - a transitional stage that lasts between 2 - 3 weeks.
- Telogen Phase - a resting stage that lasts about 2 - 3 months. At the end of this phase, the old hair falls out and the cycle returns to the anagen phase.
Hair loss is affected by age, genes, hormones, stress, certain drugs, burns, x-rays, injuries, cosmetic procedures, diet, autoimmune diseases, and certain medical conditions like diabetes, anaemia, lupus, and iron deficiency.
For more information, here’s a more detailed article that explains the causes of hair loss.
4 proven ways to stop hair loss
1. Consider having a hair transplant
This option is perfect for those who have already suffered significant hair loss. Don’t worry - you don’t have to replace all 100,000 strands of hair. In fact, only 25,000 strands of hair are needed to give the appearance of a relatively complete hair.
Hair transplants are done by taking hair follicles that are resistant to DHT from the back and sides of your head. Doctors then graft these portions on to the balding area of the scalp. Modern procedures involve using hair stem cells to stimulate regrowth of healthy hair in the “donor” area of your head. This allows for repeated transplants if needed.
2. Try changing your lifestyle
Do you know that stress is a major factor that affects hair loss? Changes in lifestyle can help prevent or slow down hair loss. Here are some of the things that you can do.
- Reduce stress by getting more sleep, drinking plenty of water, and reducing your hours at work.
- Eat a healthy balanced diet.
- Eat protein-rich foods regularly. Remember that keratin which makes up your hair is a type of protein so supplementing your diet with healthy protein can do wonders to your hair.
- Get enough vitamins and minerals. You can easily get vitamins B3, B5, B9, and E from orange, fish, soya beans, spinach, and broccoli. For minerals, a healthy quantity of Zinc (dairy, egg yolk, and wheat), magnesium (tuna, banana, and milk), and iron (fish, beans, and leafy greens) is a must.
3. Use hair-friendly products
Hair products like gels may contain chemicals that could get trapped in the follicles --- preventing your hair from growing. If you are starting to see signs of hair loss, stop using gels and try more natural or organic styling products.
You can also opt for shampoos that combat DHT. Studies show that DHT is one of the main culprits of hair loss. Anti-DHT shampoos contain ketoconazole which prevents the conversion of testosterone into DHT.
4. Use hair loss medications
Hair growth treatments like finasteride are proven to be effective in preventing or slowing down hair loss. Express Pharmacy stocks two hair loss drugs that you can buy online and get delivered right to your doorstep.
Propecia contains finasteride as its active ingredient. This hair loss drug is used to treat male pattern baldness on the vertex and anterior mid-scalp areas. Propecia is a constant treatment. This means that you have to take one pill a day on an ongoing basis.
Studies show that men who are taking Propecia stop losing hair within 3 to 6 months of treatment. 90% of men noticed visible improvements in their condition over 5 years of taking the tablet.
Finasteride is the generic counterpart of Propecia. This hair loss treatment has the same medical composition as its branded counterpart and is perfect for treating male pattern baldness. This hair loss drug should not be used by children and women.
Same as Propecia, you have to take one tablet of generic Finasteride every day. You should start seeing improvements within six months of use.