The Covid-19 pandemic has changed our lives in several ways. In this blog post, we are going to talk about 5 essential items for travelling during a pandemic. Read on!
Items to pack when travelling during a pandemic
1. Your face mask
If you intend to travel during a pandemic, your safety should always be your top priority. Don’t forget to pack surgical face masks so that you can keep your nose and mouth covered at all times. Studies show that masks prevent the spread of coronavirus and many countries have made it mandatory to wear one in public places.
2. Hand sanitisers and disinfectant wipes or spray
To help prevent the spread of Covid-19, wash your hands with soap and water as often as possible. However, soap and water are rarely available when travelling. So, we encourage you to bring a bottle of hand sanitiser with you anywhere you go. Choose hand sanitisers that contain at least 60% alcohol for best protection.
Take note that Covid-19 can stay on frequently touched surfaces for several hours. So, aside from a hand sanitiser, we encourage you to bring a bottle of disinfectant spray or a pack of disinfectant wipes as well.
3. Contactless credit/debit card
With contactless credit cards, you can say goodbye to swiping your plastic through the same machine that has been used by countless others before you. Most modern credit cards come with a tap to pay feature which uses a technology called near-field communication. It’s so easy! All you have to do is hold your card close to the card reader and voila, your purchases are paid.
4. A water bottle
You might have noticed that most public drinking fountains have been turned off. Drinking fountains are high-touch areas which may pose some risk of transmission. To stay hydrated and safe, bring your own reusable water bottle on your travels.
5. Ziploc bags
You can use Ziploc bags for almost anything! Ziploc bags have become especially helpful when travelling during a pandemic. For example, you can use Ziploc bags to hold your dirty washable masks so you don't end up contaminating other stuff.
Additional reminders when travelling during a pandemic
Authorities strongly suggest postponing travel and staying at home to protect yourself and your family from Covid-19. However, if you need to travel, keep these in mind:
- Always check the travel restrictions of your destination before you go.
- Do not travel if you or your companions are sick
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth when travelling
- Maintain social distancing
- Always wear a mask that covers your nose and mouth
- Wash your hands with soap and water frequently. If soap and water are not available, a hand sanitiser will suffice.
- Make sure you have plenty of masks and hand sanitisers with you.
- Consider getting tested for Covid-19. Don’t travel if you test positive for Covid-19.